Monday to Thursday: 9.30am - 4pm
Friday: 9.30am - 5pm
The national capital's four distinctive seasons bring their own beauty and charm, making Canberra a rare treat among Australian cities providing a kaleidoscope of colour throughout the year. Spring (which is the time of this conference) is truly glorious. Canberra is home to "Floriade", Australia's celebration of spring. The city blossoms into colour as trees reveal spring blooms and our regional vineyards awaken with the first bud tests. You can expect moderately fresh mornings, bright, sunny days and brisk nights. It is the ideal time for bushwalking and exploring wildflowers at Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve and nearby Namadgi National Park. The average minimum temperature is 6 degrees celsius (40 degrees F) and the average maximum is 19 degrees celsius (66 degrees F).
- The Australian dollar (A$) is a decimal currency with units in dollars and cents (100 cents to the dollar).
- Most venues, restaurants, supermarkets, petrol stations and retail shops accept major credit cards and electronic funds transfer at point of sale (EFTPOS).
- Credit cards most commonly accepted include American Express, Diners Club, Mastercard, Visa and affiliates.
- Consult your bank before travel to ensure your card is suitable for use in Australia.
- Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) to dispense cash are in many convenience stores, petrol stations and outside banks for 24 hour access.
- Cash your travellers cheques at airports, banks or major hotels as they may not be accepted in some retail places.
Retail Shopping Hours
- Monday to Thursday: 9am - 5.30pm
- Friday: 9am - 9pm
- Saturday: 9am - 5pm
- Sunday: 10am - 4pm
Hours may vary at smaller shopping centres.
Taxis will take you anywhere you want to go. Phone ahead or wait at a taxi rank. All companies will accept credit cards.
Canberra Elite - 13 22 27 or sms your name, pickup address and time to be collected to 0417 672 773. For wheelchair bookings phone 6126 1596.
Cabxpress - 6260 6011. For wheelchair bookings phone 6260 6077
Silver Service - 13 31 00. This premium service features luxury sedans and 7 seater vans, accredited silver standards and guaranteed delivery times with bookings.
- Canberra's area code is 02 if calling from within Australia of +61 2 from overseas.
- The cost of a local call from a public phone is 50 cents. Public phones accept coins and pre-paid telephone cards, which are available at newsagents, convenience stores and Australian Post Offices.
- International calls can be made from pay phones. Charges vary depending on the time of day and distance.
- 1800 numbers are free call numbers when dialled from anywhere within Australia.
- 1300 numbers are costed at the local call rate when dialled from anywhere in Australia.
While appreciated, tipping is not expected in Australia. If you receive excellent service, particularly in a restaurant or for a taxi fare, a tip is always welcome.
The Australian domestic standard voltage is AC 240 volts, 50 hertz cycle. The standard electrical plug is a three prong type. Suitable adapters are available from travel goods stores and some electrical retail stores.
Canberra water comes from Namadgi National Park. It is treated to national health standards and is safe to drink from taps and basins.